Thursday, July 15, 2010

The 18-year-old actor, and world’s hottest werewolf, talks being shirtless, screaming fans, and fighting for love


He began his Twilight journey with a small role in the first film. But now for some, 18-year-old Taylor eclipses Rob Pattinson in the heart-throb stakes. While his two co-stars speak their mind, Lautner, with his big white-teethed smile, always says the ‘right thing’. Today, his bulky body is hidden by blue jeans and a black tee. He settles down for a catch-up, all embarrassed by his ‘hottie’ status…

Were you expecting all this fan hysteria when you first signed up?

It’s funny, but I hadn't even heard of Twilight before I did it. And it is getting bigger and bigger. When I signed up for the role I found out the following behind us, it was so much bigger than I expected, and it is definitely different to anything I have and ever will experience in the future, I’m sure.

Have you got used to being so famous?

You actually never do because it’s just not normal to walk out on stage and have thousands of people screaming at you.

How do you avoid attention?

You have to be smart about where and when you decide to go places. Walking down Rodeo Drive in LA is probably not a good idea. I find certain hangouts where I know I can have fun, enjoy it and it’s also a safe place to be.

Do your mates take the p*ss?

Everybody teases me about the shirtless thing and my little jean shorts. It’s all good, though.

What have you been spending your money on?

It is tough to go shopping when you are busy. You don’t want to purchase something extravagant, because you are just going to leave it behind. One thing my parents taught me is to save my money because you never know what is going to happen. Tomorrow you may lose everything! My parents have been a big help. I make sure to have them on set to visit because it does get lonely, filming for three months, so I like bringing home to wherever I am. My friends visit quite often. I usually have someone there. I am never there by myself for too long.

It must be more difficult to meet new people now.

To meet new people is not, but to trust new people; you definitely have to be more aware and careful. You just have to take things slow and get to know them well. The Twilight cast have become great friends though. I’m definitely not looking forward to the day this series finishes, but we will keep lifelong relationships. We’re all in Vancouver filming and we have dinner at night and we hang out and go to the gym, that sort of stuff.

You’re one of the hottest actors in Hollywood. How does that feel?

Really? [laughs] I wouldn't consider myself that. Twilight’s been an incredible platform… It’s an amazing place to be.

There’s a lot of romance in the film. Are you romantic?

I can be. For me it’s something more simple, not going out and doing something extravagant. It’s more like just being able to talk to each other, sitting down and sharing stories or whatever, rather than staying busy. If you go to a baseball game or something you can’t have one-on-one time where you get to know each other.

Are you more like Jacob or Edward?

Jacob. I think the closest thing I can identify with is his persistence. He fights for Bella a lot, and I’ve been taught my whole life, and it’s definitely been the case, that nothing comes without hard work. Jacob is very persistent and you’ve got to love a girl quite a bit to fight that much

Would you fight for a girl that way?

If I loved somebody the way Jacob loves Bella, then of course.

What’s the weirdest experience you’ve had with a fan?

We were in Sydney and were signing stuff, including people’s arms and things and this girl had a massive wolf pack tattoo, identical to the one on my shoulder in the movie. She asked me to sign just below it and, later that night, Kristen’s like, ‘I bet that girl is going to get your signature tattooed’. Sure enough the next day it was all over the internet that this girl had my signature tattooed to her arm.

Have you ever been starstruck?

I was starstruck when I met Tom Cruise for the first time, although he wasn’t Tom Cruise, he was Les Grossman [his character from Tropic Thunder]. I walked up to him and he was facing away from me, and he’s doing his dance moves, and I’m like, ‘You’ve got to be kidding me, this is my idol, this is Tom Cruise,’ and he turns around in the suit and introduced himself. He’s my icon; I want a career like his!

What's a perfect day for you?

When I’m not working it’s doing nothing. On the couch, watching TV, spending time with friends and family and doing nothing.

What do you like to watch on TV?

Probably American Idol. I’m a big American Idol fan. Huge. And I called Lee (DeWyze, who won) right from the beginning. When they got down to the top 24 or something I was like, ‘This guy is going to win.’

So you actually called in and voted?

Not any more, but I did eight years ago when the show started. For the first three years I would dial in. I think – this is going to sound psychotic – let’s see, eight years ago I was like 10 years old. I’m 10 and there was this girl that I really liked. I forget her name. I think she came in like sixth place and I literally called in for her 60 times. It was crazy.

Source

0 Comments:

Post a Comment